Sunday, October 12, 2008

Body Worlds

This weekend, Brian and I, had the opportunity to go see the Body Worlds Exhibit in Salt Lake. It was such a neat experience. It took a little bit of convincing Brian, but I am so glad that we were able to go! There were several bodies posed in different positions to demonstrate how the body's muscles work. There were also exhibits of the nervous system, circulatory system, digestive system etc. Each exhibit was preserved through plastination. This is a technique used to prevent the body from decomposition and allows the specimen to be displayed. (Sorry for the lecture, but I found it all so fascinating). There is more information at the Body Worlds website if you are curious. (http://www.bodyworlds.com/) One of the things I found most interesting is the way that they preserved the circulatory system. Each vessel was so perfectly displayed. I couldn't believe how tiny and complex the vessels are.
We were not allowed to take pictures in the exhibit, but I found some pictures off the Internet. These are a few of the things that we saw:
I didn't really like this one. They had six babies on display. It was interesting to see, but I didn't like the idea of six babies dying. Each baby was at a certain week of development. They also had several tubes displayed, each containing a nearly microscopic fetus. It is amazing that even at 9 weeks, the baby is only the size of a grasshopper.
Not just humans! This is a camel that they displayed. The head and neck were divided into three slices. Very interesting! One of the stomachs was dissected and there was grass inside! You can't see it in this picture, I don't think, but there was also a baby camel displayed as well.
Here are some of the acrobatic poses:
It was great to see this pose. I used to always lay this way when I was little. I doubt I can still do it and successfully get up!
Figure Skaters. They actually had the man wearing ice skates! I wish they would have shown it in this picture.
These two were my absolute favorite. I loved the pose of the gymnast and the fact that they kept her hair intact! She was the only body with brown eyes. I thought that was interesting. The man on the three balls was the best! He is holding his organs above his head. How cool is that?

These last two were part of the athletic group displayed. I have no idea how they got the hurdler to be in the air. There were no strings or poles holding him up.

If you have not gone to see this yet, get off your bootie and buy tickets! Don't miss it, or you will be missing out! ;)

4 comments:

The Payne Family said...

OH man, you might have to go again cause I have no one to see it with...Andy will either throw up or faint before he even walks in the building. Hope you liked it alot because we need to go together, and then we can talk like nerds and name all the muscles and things!

jen.nie said...

hey Kellie! just wanted to drop you a line and tell ya i was thinking about you. how are things going? you liking married life? i'm so glad you have a blog, i just love them to keep up with people... except for the fact there is no real true face to face contact. well i hope that is going well with you. love you!

ps- its crazy having little brothers grow up. Don't miss ryan too much... the two years will go by fast. :)

Chelsey said...

That looks very crazy but interesting. We were talking about this exhibit recently. Crazy! The body is amazing!

AuBrie and Russ said...

Hey sucker. We beat you!! :) WEll we got slottered the first game. I wish you could have been there. I have been wanting to go to the exhibit but I can't seem to talk Russ in to going wiht me.